Marshall High School
 1900 Maverick Drive
Marshall, TX 75670
903-927-7052 (fax)
Welcome to Marshall High School, the home of the Mavericks! It is the belief and mission of every educator and adult in the Maverick Family that we will foster an encouraging learning atmosphere structured with safety, respect, and academic excellence that empowers and supports our students as they exceed their potential and become positive, productive members of our community and society.
• Campus Improvement Plan
Risk Avoidance Program
School Accountability
Student Handbook
Student Code of Conduct
District Academic Calendar
Online Lunch Payments
Family Access Portal



Email Mrs. Brown
Associate Principal
Email Mr. Chilcoat
Assistant Principal
Email Ms. Bayless
Assistant Principal
Email Mr. Page
Assistant Principal
Email Mr. Warren

Meet the rest of our Marshall High School faculty and staff in our Staff Directory.
 Follow us on


athletic schedules
back the mavs
district calendar
school bucks
quick tip
school closings
school menus
skyward family



Claudia Alta Taylor was born in Karnack on Jan. 22, 1912, in an antebellum plantation house on the outskirts of town purchased by her father shortly before her birth. As a young child she was given the nickname "Lady Bird" after her nurse said she was "purty as a ladybird." The nickname replaced her real name for the rest of her life, as her family called her "Lady" and her husband, Lyndon Johnson, called her "Bird." She graduated third in her class at the age of 15 from Marshall High School in the Class of 1928, and said later that that purposefully allowed her grades to slip during her senior year so that she would not have to give the valedictorian or salutatorian speech. She entered the University of Alabama initially during the summer of 1928, but a case of homesickness brought her back to Texas in the fall where she enrolled at St. Mary's Episcopal College for Women in Dallas. She later attended the University of Texas and received a degree in journalism in 1934. She was introduced to LBJ by a friend in Austin, with the future president working for Congressman Richard Kleberg at the time. Lady Bird and LBJ were married on Nov. 17, 1934, in San Antonio. The couple settled in Washington, D.C., once Lyndon was elected to Congress. LBJ was chosen by John F. Kennedy as a running mate during the 1960 presidential election, and he became Vice President after Kennedy defeated Richard Nixon in the fall of that year. Lady Bird became First Lady of the United States on Nov. 22, 1963, when Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas and LBJ was sworn in as President on the plane back to Washington. Lady Bird, along with Jacqueline Kennedy, were standing by his side as he took the oath of office. LBJ was re-elected in 1964 but chose not to run for a second full term in 1968. He died of a heart attack in 1973. Lady Bird remained a very popular public figure and former First Lady for the next three decades, receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the becoming the first wife of a President to receive the Congressional Gold Medal. She passed away on July 11, 2007, at the age of 94 in West Lake Hills, Texas, and was buried next to her husband in Stonewall.

mhs: building a legacy


old mhs
Front entrance of the old Marshall High School on West Houston Street, which served high school students from 1924-1980 and has served as Marshall Junior High School (grades 7-8) from 1981-2017.

On July 24, 1895, Marshall University trustees presented a 30-year lease to the Marshall Public Free Schools with a right to renew. Three years later, on September 12, 1898, Marshall High School began operating in a building leased from Marshall University. The first MHS had only two teachers, 30 students and five subjects -- Latin, English, History, Math and Science. Only grades 8,9 and 10 were taught at first. By 1900-01, the high school went through the 11th grade. From 1901-02 through 1910, 12 grades were required for graduation. The 12-grade system was reintroduced in 1936. The first graduating class had one student, Miss Verbena Barnes, and in 1900 there were three graduates.

In February 1910, the city school board began deliberations with Marshall University trustees for a building site, located at 600 West Houston Street. On March 29, 1910, the trustees conveyed their property to the Marshall School Board as a site for a high school building. It was agreed that the new school would be called Peter Whetstone School -- but it never was.

In September 1911, 200 high school students moved in. By 1914, it became necessary to add four classrooms and enlarge the study hall. By 1923 another building change became necessary, so the old Marshall University building was torn down and replaced with a new building facing West Houston. From 1924 until 1940, the high school remained in this building. In 1939, the building erected in 1911 was removed to make way for an addition to the campus. This new building, which faced College Street, served as the high school. The junior high remained in the old portion until the seventh and eighth grades moved out in 1964, providing more room for a growing high school.

A successful bond issue under Superintendent Truitt Ingram in 1976 led to construction of a new high school for Marshall. In September 1980, students in grades 10-12 stepped into a "comprehensive" $6.7 million, 212,000-square foot facility on Maverick Drive. The school had an initial capacity of 1,600 students and basic facilities for 2,000. Its features included a 2,000-seat gym with three courts, 600-seat auditorium, multi-tiered dining area for 500 and separation of academic classes from shop, band and choir areas. Outside the building were a 7,000-seat stadium with all-weather track, a 12,000-square foot field house, six tennis courts and a baseball field. A facilities study in 1986 led to the opening of a ninth-grade wing. A supplemental field house for baseball, cross country, soccer and tennis opened at the north end of Maverick Drive in December 1988. In 1993 came a 2,000-seat addition to the stadium, a new track and an addition to the band hall. In fall 2002, a new program, the Air Force Junior ROTC, moved into a portable structure building north of the main building. All-weather turf was installed in Maverick Stadium in the summer of 2003, and was replaced in 2015. In the spring of 2004, construction began on an addition to the field house, about a third of which was financed through private donations.


Prior to 1894, schools for African-Americans in Marshall had little or no organization. Classes were held in churches, lodge halls, and sometimes dwellings. There were few qualified teachers and children could not be transferred from one school to the other without changing their books. In 1894, Superintendent Chesley Adams offered H.B. Pemberton, a Wiley College professor and son of former slaves, the principalship of one of the city schools for blacks. Pemberton took out a loan under his own name and purchased a tract of land which was then deeded to the city for the construction of a new school for blacks, Central School, serving grades 1-7. As the school's enrollment grew, Pemberton saw the need for a high school for black students, and the school board approved expansion of the Central School to include a total of eleven grade levels in 1916.

In 1925, a site on Rosborough Springs Road was purchased for a new school to house high school students only. The old Central School became known as Hillside School, and the new school opened as Central High School. The school quickly developed a reputation of excellence, and around 1940 was awarded the highest rating accorded to African American high schools. It was listed as one of the top six or eight schools in the state.

Pemberton had remained as principal of the school since its inception. Due to his tireless and diligent dedication to seeing education expand for all of Marshall's children during his career, the school board unanimously approved changing the name of the high school to H.B. Pemberton High School in 1941 after receiving a petition with over 5,000 signatures. Mr. Pemberton died on April 27, 1944, but left behind an iconic legacy for Marshall's public schools.

The high school bearing his name, with the mascot "Panthers," continued as one of two high schools in Marshall until Marshall schools were integrated in 1971. At that time, Pemberton began serving Marshall's ninth grade students until 1988, when a new wing to house freshmen was opened at Marshall High School. At that time, Pemberton High School ceased operation as a public school, and was sold to Wiley College. The building still stands today and houses the Pemberton Heritage Center.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.